Re: Lenny Installer beta fails to detect 82540EP Gigabit Ethernet Controller

On Monday 14 April 2008, Kai Brandhorst wrote:
> I wanted to install Debian Lenny (testing, beta-version) on my IBM
> Thinkpad R51. The installer started fine but when it comes to
> network-card detection the installer freezes. I have tried to start the
> installation in expert mode, changed to the terminal and did a modprobe
> e1000 and a modprobe e1000e, but both modules cannot be found. Are they
> compiled statically into the kernel? I know that the e1000 module works
> fine on the same machine for the 2.6.18 kernel of the stable(etch)
> release? Do you have any ideas how I can get this machine running in
> debian testing?

The e1000 module should definitely be available with the Beta1 release of
the installer. As that release uses 2.6.22, it is correct that e1000e is
not available.

Could you please try a daily build of the installer [1]? That has the 2.6.24
kernel and includes both the e1000 and the new e1000e driver.

If I recall correctly, we have had another report of the installer hanging
during NIC detection and that was solved with the daily builds.

Cheers,
FJP

[1] http://www.debian.org/devel/debian-installer/