Lenny Installer beta fails to detect 82540EP Gigabit Ethernet Controller

Hello,

I wanted to install Debian Lenny (testing, beta-version) on my IBM
Thinkpad R51. The installer started fine but when it comes to
network-card detection the installer freezes. I have tried to start the
installation in expert mode, changed to the terminal and did a modprobe
e1000 and a modprobe e1000e, but both modules cannot be found. Are they
compiled statically into the kernel? I know that the e1000 module works
fine on the same machine for the 2.6.18 kernel of the stable(etch)
release? Do you have any ideas how I can get this machine running in
debian testing?

Thanks in advance

Kai