Re: Lenny Installer beta fails to detect 82540EP Gigabit Ethernet Controller

On Monday 14 April 2008, Kai Brandhorst wrote:
> I have tried the daily build
> http://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/daily-builds/daily/arch-latest/i386/iso
>-cd/debian-testing-i386-netinst.iso of today (14. April 2008, 15.00 h
> GMT+1) build on 12-Apr-2008 23:52 but that does not work either.
>
> After the progress bar of network detection is complete I get a blue
> screen (not a bluescreen!!!) and the caps-lock LED is blinking (it was
> blinking with the other installer, too).

Please try booting the daily build version of the installer with
    install DEBIAN_FRONTEND=text priority=medium

This will boot the installer in text mode. The user interface will be
different, but the questions will be the same.
Proceed with the installation, but stop _before_ the network hardware
detection phase. Instead of that, choose the option "Execute a shell".

When you have the shell, edit the scripts /bin/ethdetect and /bin/hw-detect
using 'nano' and uncomment the line with '#set -x' in both (remove the "#"
at the start of the line). Then execute 'ethdetect' from the shell.

I hope that that the info on the display when the hang occurs will help
determine what is causing it.

On Monday 14 April 2008, Kai Brandhorst wrote:
> If I install the stable release and shortafter do a dist-upgrade to
> lenny I get the 2.6.24-1-686 kernel installed. It automatically loads
> the modules e1000 and ipw2100 and although I haven't tested the wireless
> device, the networking via the ethernet device is perfect.
>
> Therefore there must be an error in the installation kernel of the lenny
> installer or in the installer itself.

That does not automatically follow as the kernel the installer uses is
identical to the regular Debian kernel while the most likely cause of the
problem is still in the kernel.

Cheers,
FJP