Re: Changing of tasksel from arch all to arch any

Frans Pop <elendil@planet.nl> writes:

> On Sunday 27 January 2008, Otavio Salvador wrote:
>> Today while talking about the removal of laptop-detect from tasksel
>> depends list, specially for s390, vorlon noticed that we'd need to
>> change tasksel from arch all to arch any to make it possible.
>
> That should be avoided if at all possible.

Agreed too. That's why I thought more about it to find another solution.

>> Thinking about it, I come up with following possible solution:
>>
>> tasksel:
>>  - change laptop-detect from a depends to a recommends
>
> IMO that makes sense anyway.

I can change it. Joey, any objection? I'll change it tonight if you
don't complain about it.

> It should not be necessary to have laptop-detect installed on boxes that are
> clearly _not_ laptops (like my hppa/sparc/amd64 box) just to be able to use
> tasksel. tasksel should instead just default to "not a laptop" if
> laptop-detect is not present.

Yes. I think that we should make it installed in following arches:

 - i386
 - amd64
 - powerpc
 - sparc (http://www.infoworld.com/article/05/06/30/HNsparclaptop_1.html)
 - others?

> Having it recommended means that it still _will_ be installed by default
> when people install tasksel manually; we only need to make sure it is
> installed when needed in D-I.
>
> Note: this means that laptop-detect will also need to be added in the
> generate_d-i+k_list script in debian-cd as it will no longer be
> automatically pulled onto CD1 by tasksel.

Will do that as soon as we decide to go for this way.

>> hw-detect:
>>  - install laptop-detect if available (probably a post-base-installer
>> script)
>
> I disagree.
> - hw-detect really only makes sense if you'd only install it when the
>   system is a laptop (i.e. if some kind of hardware detection actually
>   happens), but as we don't do that hw-detect is IMO not the right place
> - even if hw-detect were the right component, a simple 'apt-install' would
>   still be better than a post-base-installer script
> - as laptop-detect is only needed when tasksel is run, adding a pre-pkgsel.d
>   script to install it (only for arches that are supported by it) seems more
>   logical

Makes sense. I'm still thinking which module would fit better to have
this hook script. I thought about put it in hw-detect but your
comments are really valid ones but I didn't come up with a better
alternative.

--
        O T A V I O    S A L V A D O R
 E-mail: otavio@debian.org      UIN: 5906116