Re: Changing of tasksel from arch all to arch any

On Monday 28 January 2008, Otavio Salvador wrote:
> Yes. I think that we should make it installed in following arches:
>
>  - sparc (http://www.infoworld.com/article/05/06/30/HNsparclaptop_1.html)

Does laptop-detect currently actually support detection of Sparc laptops? If
it does not, then IMO it should not be installed (or even built) for sparc.
It can always be enabled for sparc when such support _is_ added (although I
doubt there will be very much interest in that).

> > - as laptop-detect is only needed when tasksel is run, adding a
> > pre-pkgsel.d script to install it (only for arches that are supported
> > by it) seems more logical
>
> Makes sense. I'm still thinking which module would fit better to have
> this hook script. I thought about put it in hw-detect but your
> comments are really valid ones but I didn't come up with a better
> alternative.

The alternative was in my 3rd point (see above): install it during pkgsel,
just like we do for popcon.