Re: D-I Team: What happens if udebs are added the pool outside d-i?

On Mon, 28 Jan 2008 12:45:11 +0100
Frans Pop <elendil@planet.nl> wrote:

> On Monday 28 January 2008, Daniel Dickinson wrote:
> > I'm hoping that the udebs don't mean anything to d-i unless the d-i
> > build scripts pull them in as specifically directed and therefore
> > don't impact on d-i unless you want them to.
>
> I'm afraid they do. For various reasons adding udebs to the archive
> without permission from the D-I team is not allowed (the FTP masters
> will not allow them in without getting an OK from the D-I release
> manager) [1].
>
> So, please send a mail to the BRs you opened to prevent them being
> implemented and first send a mail to the debian-boot list explaining
> what udebs we are talking about and why exactly you'd like to add
> them.

I'll do up details over the next few days; It sounds like this could be
more complex to coordinate than I thought.  I had hoped to avoid
maintaining packages that weren't able to be in the archive (that is
ones which have been modified to make tools available that I want) even
though much if what I want to do will be beyond the usual use case for
d-i.  I had hoped to leverage the great variety of boot methods and
disk detection.

As it is my current build setup looks a lot like the old boot-floppies
method, with options of floppy and cd.

What is the feeling, in principal, about having system rescue stuff in
d-i?  What about foreign os rescue/backup/imaging?  Is there anyway to
have this available without borking d-i or will I need to maintain a
shadow archive for at least some of this?

> Please also let us know the numbers of the BRs you opened.

Oh, I hadn't filed bug reports yet - this was planning.  Good thing I
asked too.

Regards,

Daniel
--
And that's my crabbing done for the day.  Got it out of the way early,
strangle cute bunnies or something.   -- Michael Devore