Re: Changing of tasksel from arch all to arch any

On Sunday 27 January 2008, Otavio Salvador wrote:
> Today while talking about the removal of laptop-detect from tasksel
> depends list, specially for s390, vorlon noticed that we'd need to
> change tasksel from arch all to arch any to make it possible.

That should be avoided if at all possible.

> Thinking about it, I come up with following possible solution:
>
> tasksel:
>  - change laptop-detect from a depends to a recommends

IMO that makes sense anyway.

It should not be necessary to have laptop-detect installed on boxes that are
clearly _not_ laptops (like my hppa/sparc/amd64 box) just to be able to use
tasksel. tasksel should instead just default to "not a laptop" if
laptop-detect is not present.

Having it recommended means that it still _will_ be installed by default
when people install tasksel manually; we only need to make sure it is
installed when needed in D-I.

Note: this means that laptop-detect will also need to be added in the
generate_d-i+k_list script in debian-cd as it will no longer be
automatically pulled onto CD1 by tasksel.

> hw-detect:
>  - install laptop-detect if available (probably a post-base-installer
> script)

I disagree.
- hw-detect really only makes sense if you'd only install it when the
  system is a laptop (i.e. if some kind of hardware detection actually
  happens), but as we don't do that hw-detect is IMO not the right place
- even if hw-detect were the right component, a simple 'apt-install' would
  still be better than a post-base-installer script
- as laptop-detect is only needed when tasksel is run, adding a pre-pkgsel.d
  script to install it (only for arches that are supported by it) seems more
  logical

> laptop-detect:
>  - work to get it removed from all arches that it makes no sense

Yes. laptop-detect should be arch-specific and only be built for those
arches for which it actually supports laptop detection. For all other
arches it is just plain silly to have this package in the archive.

The fact that it is small and will just return false on other arches is IMO
not enough reason to include it on arches where it will never, ever perform
any useful function.

Note that acpi-support and hotkey-setup will need to be modified too:
laptop-detect
  Reverse Depends: acpi-support (0.103-5)
  Reverse Depends: hotkey-setup (0.1-21)
  Reverse Depends: tasksel-data (2.71)

Cheers,
FJP

P.S. I do agree with Joey that it is not very nice that such decisions are
made by individual porters without any discussion or consideration of the
consequences.