Re: Installation on NSLU2 does not complete (initramfs nslu2 hook requires user interaction)

Hi Joey

On Dec 12, 2007 1:26 PM, Joey Hess <joeyh@debian.org> wrote:

> iface=$(ip route | grep '^default' | cut -d ' ' -f 5)
> if ls -l /sys/class/net/$iface/device | grep -q ixp4xx_mac; then
>         echo "firmware in use"
> else
>         echo "firmware not in use"
> fi
>
> Does this work on your slugs with and without the firmware? I have
> an unreleased nslu2-utils in svn that adds this test.

It does work (I updated the script above to use the commands in svn
revision 130).

On a slug with the NPE firmware:

++ route -n
++ grep '^0.0.0.0 '
++ grep UG
++ sed 's/.* //'
+ iface=eth0
+ '[' -n eth0 ']'
+ readlink /sys/class/net/eth0/device
+ grep -q ixp4xx_mac
+ echo 'firmware in use'
firmware in use

On a slug without the NPE firmware:

++ route -n
++ grep '^0.0.0.0 '
++ grep UG
++ sed 's/.* //'
+ iface=eth1
+ '[' -n eth1 ']'
+ readlink /sys/class/net/eth1/device
+ grep -q ixp4xx_mac
+ echo 'firmware not in use'
firmware not in use

I also built nslu2-utils from the repository and installed it on a
machine that does not have the NPE firmware. It it generated the
initramfs without user intervention, whereas 0.10+r71-13 complained
that the firmware file did not exist and required user intervention
before it would generate the initramfs.

Gordon

--
Gordon Farquharson