Custom kernel / GRUB yields: Can't access tty; Job control stopped

Hi Hope this is the correct mailing list. I am not a member.

A custom debian kernel 2.6.18 mounts the root fs but then gives the error
"/bin/sh Can't access tty; Job control stopped"
(initramfs)

I used GRUB to boot the kernel. The stock kernels work fine.
What is the problem, is it grub or the kernel?
Will try lilo as well.
Many thanks.

Rob Key