Re: usplash in desktop task?

On Wed, 09 May 2007 02:22:15 +0200, David Härdeman <david@hardeman.nu> said:

> On Tue, May 08, 2007 at 05:17:55PM -0500, Manoj Srivastava wrote:
>> On Tue, 8 May 2007 18:39:28 +0200, Christian Perrier
>> <bubulle@debian.org> said:
>>
>>> It is also perfectly obvious that nice boot environments tend to
>>> hide information (this is indeed why they're nice).
>>
>> This is very subjective. I, for one, do not find hiding information
>> "nice".  The information produced is better than nothing; which is
>> what pretty graphics usually are.

> "Hiding information"...I remember when most Linux distros had xconsole
> running in the background in X per default in order not to "hide"
> information, should we readd that as well?

        You mean we no longer have xconsole running in the background?
 Geez. I am so glad I did not dumb down my environment by running
 the new fangled desktop thingies.

> Note that if something goes fatally wrong, usplash will switch back to
> VT1 where the text is available...and usplash will per default show
> all LSB-generated messages...

        But there is value in the content even when things do not go
 fatally wrong. I still think the default should be to be informative,
 with the option of keeping pewople in the dark if the insist.

>> If nothing else, it tells my how much crap I have installed, and has,
>> in the past, induced me to clean up my machine.

> What kind of argument is this? I can write you a usplash init script
> that prints the output of "dpkg -l" during boot if that's what you
> want.

        I see you have no idea about the kinds of information that is
 actually presented during an ordinary boot.

        manoj
--
How many retured bricklayers from FLORIDA are out purchasing PENCIL
SHARPENERS right NOW??