Re: usplash in desktop task?

On Tue, May 08, 2007 at 05:17:55PM -0500, Manoj Srivastava wrote:
On Tue, 8 May 2007 18:39:28 +0200, Christian Perrier <bubulle@debian.org> said:
It is also perfectly obvious that nice boot environments tend to hide
information (this is indeed why they're nice).

       This is very subjective. I, for one, do not find hiding
information "nice".  The information produced is better than nothing;
which is what pretty graphics usually are.

"Hiding information"...I remember when most Linux distros had xconsole running in the background in X per default in order not to "hide" information, should we readd that as well?

Note that if something goes fatally wrong, usplash will switch back to VT1 where the text is available...and usplash will per default show all LSB-generated messages...

If nothing else, it tells my
how much crap I have installed, and has, in the past, induced me to
clean up my machine.

What kind of argument is this? I can write you a usplash init script that prints the output of "dpkg -l" during boot if that's what you want.

However, who *really* uses that information in normal situations?

       Well, not all the world is exactly like you.  I routinely "use"
the information.

An argument which works both ways.

--
David Härdeman