Re: usplash in desktop task?

On Tue, May 08, 2007 at 10:24:01PM +0200, Attilio Fiandrotti wrote:
Otavio Salvador ha scritto:
Joey Hess <joeyh@debian.org> writes:

My standpoint is that installing (or at least activating) splashy should only be done if it is *known* beforehand that the display will be correct.
usplash uses bogl, same as d-i, so if d-i worked in framebuffer mode,
I'll bet that usplash will also work. Until I see a system where it
doesn't anyway. :-) Systems installed using g-i also seem likely to support
usplash.

AFAIK g-i uses dfb and on this case splashy would work ;-)

If usplash uses bogl and bogl uses framebuffer, then usplash will work almost anywhere g-i does. It wont't work on i386 and amd64 systems where the video chip is not supported by vesafb (see #405737).

AFAIK, usplash has two backends, svgalib and bogl...and I believe that usplash works with both vesafb and vga16fb as well as chipset-specific fb drivers...

--
David Härdeman