Re: Goodbye Microsoft

On 1/28/07, Geert Stappers <stappers@stappers.nl> wrote:
Op 28-01-2007 om 11:13 schreef Margarita Manterola:
> On 1/28/07, Robert Millan <rmh@aybabtu.com> wrote:
> >Due to continued problems with "Slashdot effect" I've moved this
> >temporarily to gluck (http://goodbye-microsoft.com/ now redirects automaticaly).
> Is "goodbye-microsoft" really the best name for this?
Yes, Robert does think so, at least he did pick that name.
And I support him.

Well, I was not addressing Robert himself, I was addressing the whole
d-i team.  Specially taking into account that the contents of the
domain are now hosted in a Debian machine, I think it would be better
if we could agree on a nicer name.

> But:
> 1) It's aggressive
There is no aggression in saying goodbye.

It depends on _how_ you say goodbye.  And "goodbye-microsoft.com" does
sound aggresive to me.

> 2) It does not say anything about debian
We can live with that.

Maybe, but I've seen that d-i takes good care of always showing things
to be "debian".  That's why I mentioned it.

> 3) You might even be accused of trademark infringement
Thank you for the warning.
I serious believe that a correct spelled name is good publicity.

You might believe this. I don't think Microsoft believes the same thing though.

If the trademark holder feel offended, they are free to contact us.

Yes, well, I guess that they probably will, as soon as this site gets
popular enough.  However, due to the fact that this is now being
hosted in a Debian machine, you might (or not) hurt the project in the
meantime.  I think this issue should be taken a little bit more
seriously.

You are welcome to claim such doman name.  Contact the creator of
"goodbye-microsoft.com" before you start mirrorring.

I don't plan to start mirroring at all. I was just suggesting some
domain names that might be better suited than "goodbye-microsoft" for
the hosting of the Debian-Installer Loader for Windows, if you don't
like them, that's ok.

I actually think that get.debian.org is pretty cool, and that we
should have it as a friendly page that lists the different ways of
getting Debian, but that's another story.

--
Besos,
Marga