Re: Goodbye Microsoft

Op 28-01-2007 om 11:13 schreef Margarita Manterola:
> On 1/28/07, Robert Millan <rmh@aybabtu.com> wrote:
> >Due to continued problems with "Slashdot effect" I've moved this
> >temporarily
> >to gluck (http://goodbye-microsoft.com/ now redirects automaticaly).
>
> Is "goodbye-microsoft" really the better name for this?

Yes, Robert does think so, at least he did pick that name.
And I support him.

> I understand that it can be funny.

Cool.

> But:
>
> 1) It's aggressive

There is no aggression in saying goodbye.

> 2) It does not say anything about debian

We can live with that.
Mankind got use to Mercedes not being a french name
and McDonalds not being that scottish.

> 3) You might even be accused of trademark infringement

Thank you for the warning.
I serious believe that a correct spelled name is good publicity.
If the trademark holder feel offended, they are free to contact us.

> 4) the .com at the end is misleading

As misleading as in google.com?
Where it does take some time before you find out what they provide?

> However, I like the installer for windows idea. Thus, I propose to
> change this into non-aggressive, non-microsoft, debian name as in:
>
> * get-debian.org (This could even be get.debian.org and be the
> official d-i, g-i, w-d-i page)
> * automatic-debian.org
> * dive-into-debian.org
> * plug-into-debian.org
> * startup-debian.org
> * debian-for-newbies.org
> * debian-for-windows.org
> * etc, etc, etc

You are welcome to claim such doman name.  Contact the creator of
"goodbye-microsoft.com" before you start mirrorring.

> I don't know if using "for windows" is trademark infrigement. It probably
> is :-\

Could be.  It is also another contribution to the pool of programs for
Microsoft Windows. It gaves credit to the slogan "exclusive for Windows"

Cheers
Geert Stappers