[Date Prev][Date Next] [Thread Prev][Thread Next] [Date Index] [Thread Index]

Re: [LONG] ppp-udeb: A succesful installation using it, some ideas and some requests for advices

On 5/16/06, Marco d'Itri <md@linux.it> wrote:
On May 16, Eddy Petri??or <eddy.petrisor@gmail.com> wrote:

> >>If I am going to do that on the connection from my provider, I will
> >>have my contract termitated in a second because I am not allowed to
> >>use other IPs in their network than the ones given by thier servers,
> >>and believe me, there is NO configuration given for the ethernet card.
> >You are supposed to use a private IP address then.
> INTERFACE WITH ANY IP. The ppp interface is the only one which is
> allowed to be up with an IP which must be given by their server.
> I had problems because of this (not exagerating) from day one, when my
> laptop was put as a router for the internal network and on the used
> interface it had on private class IP. One guy from the techincal body
> of the ISP has visited me in the intent to disconnect me _just_
> because I had an IP (an IP) other than the one provided by them.
I do not believe this. Your ISP CANNOT KNOW about IP addresses assigned
to your internal interfaces, unless your configuration is broken in some
way (e.g. you forwarded packets originated from internal addrsses
without NAT'in them).

The ISP has a huge wan which covers all the neighbourhood which is in
fact a LAN. So if I assign an IP to the interface used for PPPoE, I
will expose illegal IPs. I know, this setup is retarded, but I expect
that some ISP using PPPoE because of cost reasons would do all kinds
of suboptimal configurations and protect themselves with some
legalese. Sadly, that's how is happening now for me (/my ISP).

The case of "ethernet interface needs to be up without an IP address"
must be handled by the code which currently configures ethernet
interfaces (if you can persuade the maintainers).

This is where I disagree, because I think there is no reason and no
means for the previous steps to allow such a configuration (iirc,
"leave network interface unconfigured" will just do that, no up, no
IP), so I guess is the ppp-udeb's duty to do the up, if it needs it
for PPPoE. Probably is not the best design, from your POV, but I don't
think that the modular architecture of d-i will enforce this.

> ppp-udeb's postinst must allow running it an infinite number of times,
> but the result should be the same. Curently this is not true because
> for each run of the postinst, another pppoe connection is configured,
> although it should not.
Maybe if a ppp interface exists then it should not try to configure

This will not get the desired effect if: one moves the cable towards
the PPPoE server from on nic to another, on a system with two or more
nics, in order to configure PPPoE during the installation on another
nic for the same connection.

> The problem is that this issue must be solved and one will have to
> know (for multiple netcard system) on which ethX a pppY was
> configured, so that once the pppY is down, _if_ the associated ethX
> was upped by ppp-udeb's postinst previousely, it should be downed if
> no concentrator was found on it.
ppp-udeb does not support configuring multiple PPP interfaces, and I
see no reason why it should. If for some reason you need to know the
ethernet interface used by the PPPoE connection you can find it in the
/etc/ppp/peers/ config file.

Thanks for the info.

(Beware: the name of ethernet interfaces may not match eth[0-9]...)

I know, pppoeconfig is retarded from this pov.

> So ppp-udeb should depend on another udeb which should provide a
> PPP-config-saver udeb which should take care of this copying after the
> target is installed.
No, ppp-udeb should install a script to copy the configuration on the

In order to have that ran at some point after the syetm is configured,
some postinst from the menu, directly or indirectly will have to do
the copying. Having another entry in the d-i menu means having another
udeb (only one postinst/udeb is possible ;-) ). If somebody tells me a
way to link to other post-instal scripts, I will be glad to use those
means, but I don't have that knowledge. D-I people, HEEEELP ! :o)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge" A.Einstein

Reply to: