Re: [LONG] ppp-udeb: A succesful installation using it, some ideas and some requests for advices

On 5/15/06, Marco d'Itri <md@linux.it> wrote:
eddy.petrisor@gmail.com wrote:

>c) what should be done for systems with multiple network cards?
Probe all of them.

This  question was related to the later part of the mail. The
aftermath of a pppoe configuration is a little bit more complicated in
the case of systems with multiple cards. Postinst should be idempotent
so one will have to know on which ethX the pppY connection was done.

>The way I am thinking the PPPoE configuration should be done/integrated in d-i:
> - if dhcp fails, try the detection of concentrators (implies running
>ifconfig ethX up)
No. DHCP and PPPoE support are not related.

Err, this is a problem in the d-i intergration. D-I should prompt as
few times as possible. The most usual/convenient case is to have a
dhcp server on the network and to have all configuration information
from that dhcp server. Currently D-I asks for manual configuration
information in case DHCP fails. AFAICS, with the introduction of PPPoE
configuration, manual configuration should be requested in case the
PPPoE configuration fails, too (after the automatic identification of
concentrators).

> - if concentrator detection fails, drop to manual configuration
If no concentrator is detected then the interface does not support
PPPoE and there is no need or reason to configure anything.

That is if you assume that I ment "manual PPPoE configuration", but I
ment "static configuration" :-) of the Ethernet card.

>The pppoe and dhcp protocols are orthogonal, so if one configuration
>succedes on a card, there is no way the other will. So the question
This is totally wrong. PPPoE and DHCP *are* indeed orthogonal, and this
mean that they are compatible and can be used at the same time.
DHCP will provide the eth0 IP address and PPPoE the ppp0 interface.

If that is true, then we are in a bigger problem than I was thinking.
Is it possible to have a PPPoE configuration ran as in the following
scheme:
- configure the Ethernet card through DHCP
- configure a ppp connection (PPPoE) over the Ethernet card
configured at the previous step; the nameserver and default route are
set through the PPP connection?

I was under the impression that on a PPPoE connection one will have
always an Ethernet card (ethX) which is just up, but has no IP, and a
pppY virtual interface which has an IP which is given by the PPP
server. Is this picture not correct?

>is, when should the PPPoE configuration be attempted? It seems logical
After DHCP.

After DHCP fails, right? Or?

>directed to static configuration. I am not sure if there are cases in
>which the concentrator is not detected, but I fear that in the case in
No.

Ok, nice, one less problem to think about :-)

>Once the configuration is made for one card, should it be attempted
>for others, too? This is a little bit difficult and I fear there are
No.

ok.

>In case the PPPoE connection fails, should the user be given the
>chance to configure the card as static? Note that if the concentrator
These things are not related.

They are from a D-I usability POV.

>There is small issue, if the concentrator is searched on a card, then
>the card in question must be "ifconfig CARD up" with no IP, should
>this be restored if the concentrator is not found? Would it affect the
Wrong, the ethernet card should get a proper IP address. Network
interfaces used for PPPoE do not need any special configuration.

I'm afraid your statements sound conflictive with each other.
What I know is what happens here. The configuration supported by my
provider works if I "ifconfig eth9 up" with the ethernet not having
any IP and then start pppd so ppp0 is started.

>How can the configuration information be copied to the target system
>after the system is installed?
The udev script already does this.

That is not possible because of various reasons;

I tested an installation and:
1) the ppp related stuff was not installed by default
2) the configuration of pppoe on the target system was not the same as
the one in the d-i envronment.
3) it is not possible to copy the pppoe configuration on the target at
the time the ppp-udeb postinst is ran because the system does not have
yet configured the destination partition for /. (It is necessary to
start the network configuration before partman in order to allow the
download of the partman component and other components over the PPPoE
connection).

--
Regards,
EddyP