[Date Prev][Date Next] [Thread Prev][Thread Next] [Date Index] [Thread Index]

gtk 2.0.x or 2.9+ for etch g-i ? (Was: graphics or text as default)

On Tue, May 16, 2006 at 07:34:27AM +0200, Frans Pop wrote:
> On Monday 15 May 2006 23:40, Sven Luther wrote:
> > Another aspect not to forget about this too. We have made considerable
> > effort to bring the directfb code to gtk 2.9+. We have involved
> > external folk outside of d-i to help us and make this happen (I am
> > thinking of Dennis and Mike in particular here, but there may be
> > others), and if we are going to end not using it in etch after all,
> > this may not be good for motivation for finding help the next time we
> > need it.
> I agree, but we cannot really do very much unless upstream actually 
> releases the versions into which directfb was merged and those versions 
> are packaged for Debian. Alternatives have been discussed several times 
> already.

This is where release management and planning comes in. It is more important
to know, not how the situation is today, but what it will be at freeze time
and at release time. But the decision we take today, will influence that.

If we decide that 2.9+ and 2.10 is the way to go for etch, then we should be
pro-active for this, and start experimenting, and even making them the default
NOW. So we can discover any bugs and other problems, and have time to fix
them. At this point, and with the freeze a bit over two month away, inaction
stands very much aking to deciding on 2.0.x, which is something important
members of our g-i team have said is sub-optimal.

So, we have to take a decision on which way we want to go, and then make it
the default, and push all our forces into making it happen, maybe even going
for help wiht upstream again if needed.

> > That said, another important point is, will we be using a separate
> > gtk-dfb 2.9/2.10 package set, or will we be using the main gtk debian
> > package ? In this second case, are the gtk-gnome folk ready to move to
> > gtk 2.10 for etch ?
> I'd hope we can use the main gtk debian package. I have no idea if the 
> Gnome packagers are ready or not or if they are even considering 
> packaging 2.10 for Etch given the release planning and the upcoming 
> freeze. Especially since AFAICT 2.10 has not yet been released...

It is scheduled for release during may, which may or not be delayed a bit.
This is way this is an important point to get feedaback from the release team
and from the gtk-gnome team now. I am CCing them on this.

If they decide to not go with 2.10 for etch, then having a random 2.9 snapshot
or a final 2.10 package just for us would be no worse than the current 2.0.x
packages that we have today.

We have to take a decision now, again, waiting will only default the decision
to the status quo, since the time for such changes and good experimenting of
it will become more sparse as we near the freeze. Especially as the d-i freeze
is maybe unnecessarily early in the freeze schedule.

It is no more time for Waiting, but time for Action, so let's decide and act.


Sven Luther

Reply to: