Re: [g-i] freefont vs. dejavu

On 17/03/2006, at 10:18 PM, Davide Viti wrote:

Here's ([1]) a screenshot of some vietnamese text rendered
with the new version of freefont uploaded by Christian; does
it look right?
This version of freefont should contain all the glyphs needed to
render Vietnamese.

Thanks for the screenshot, Davide. I hope it doesn't show any functional part of the installer, because it's all fragments of strings, not complete strings. ;)

It's difficult to give detailed feedback on the font, because the text in the screenshot is so small. I can say that the right accents are on the right characters, so the text (when it makes sense ;) ) is readable. That's the key thing. It seems to show all our glyphs.

Some of the accents are not positioned correctly when combined: should I give that detailed feedback here, or should I do that to the freefont authors? (It doesn't affect meaning, but it will have users in my community thinking, "Yuk, what's wrong with this font?")

Our language is a challenge to font-creators, so the freefont people have done well to get the glyphs represented readably.

I have screenshots of the Verajja font compared with Lucida Grande, the general-purpose Unicode font on my system, and a font created especially for Vietnamese, if you would find those useful. Has Verajja been integrated into Dejavu yet? I have tested the Verajja font with Vietnamese, for its creator.