Re: [g-i] freefont vs. dejavu

On 3/7/06, Davide Viti <zinosat@tiscali.it> wrote:
> Tonight I've run some tests using dejavu fonts as discussed during the meeting.
> I created an iso [1] using an unstripped version of dejavu and without freefont;
> in the same directory ([2]) you can find a screenshot for each language.
> It turns out that dejavu does not contain Vietnames and Hebrew glyphs, meaning that
> we can't use it to completely substitute freefont. The latest version of freefont include
> all the Vietnamese glyphs listed below and the Hebrew glyphs.

I was suspecting this (it says so on the dejavu home page;-), but I am
glad you did the tests so we can have a clear picture.

> Once freefont will be ok, we can decide which font should display which language:
> freefont will probably be used for vietnamese, hebrew, hindi, punjabi, bengali.
>
> Comments are welcome.

[snip]

> PS: Eddy, if there was not the nasty freefont bug I would never have done this test with dejavu :))
> have to admit I like the way they look like

I know and I am glad you like them.

> [1] http://d-i.alioth.debian.org/gtk-frontend/screenshots/20060307_dejavu/mini.iso
> [2] http://d-i.alioth.debian.org/gtk-frontend/screenshots/20060307_dejavu/

Latin based scripts should all look better.

BTW, what is the size difference? Is dejavu+freefont(for
Hebrew,Vietnamese and others) > freefont(for all)?

--
Regards,
EddyP