bugs in partman-auto_41 (trying to create 3 primary partitions with preseed)

Hello,

I believe I have tracked down the source of all my misery with
preseeding partman-auto.

(For alot more and unstructured information, I refer to my blog posts on
this subject: http://www.singularity.be/node/6153
http://www.singularity.be/node/6156 and
http://www.singularity.be/node/6157)

In short:

I want to create 3 primary partitions using a preseeded
recipe. partman-auto creates the first 2 partitions without problem, but
errors on the 3rd. The reason is that it tries to create a partition
that is bigger than the remaining free diskspace.

Considering that a request only has to be 1 byte over the allowed
size to make partman-auto complain, being numerically very correct is a
prerequisite to calculating correct partition sizes.

I have found some problems in that regard:

- The first partition doesn't start from byte 0 but from byte 32256.
  This is only about 32KB, but big enough to cause problems. As far as I
  can see, partman-auto doesn't take that into consideration.

- Sizes expressed in bytes are rounded to megabytes by dropping the last
  6 digits. Shouldn't they be divided by 1024*1024 ?

- Asking for a partition of N bytes does not mean you get exactly N
  bytes. In my case, I wanted a partition of 64MB for /boot.
  partman-auto translated that to 64000001 bytes and when the partition
  was finally created, it was 65802240 bytes. That's a lot of extra
  bytes.

Are any of these problems already known and maybe fixed in a later
release ?

I hope this information is useful (at least it got rid of some
frustration om my end)

greets,
-- Steven