Re: [PROPOSAL] tasksel: improve and enhance language tasks

On Tuesday 23 August 2005 08:18, Christian Perrier wrote:
> I'm afraid I fail to understand this. Up to now, I've not seen the new
> tasksel (with splitted KDE/Gnome) in action, so that's probably why I
> can't really figure out.
>
> I saw the new changes as the longstanding request (which you were not
> fond of) to offer choice between KDE and Gnomeas a kind of
> "additionnal" tasks to the "base" desktop task.

I had hoped this would be implemented as well, especially after the result
of the discussion we had at debconf.

> Your explanations seem to imply that this doesn't actually work that
> way and thus users still do not have the choice between
> KDE/Gnome/Both. Am I right?

[...]

> I basically agree here (even though I have personnally chosen
> Thunderbird as supported software in our company). However, I keep
> thinking we should provide some "standard" MUA as part of Debian
> desktop installs rather than leave this to users who will have hard
> times chosing between Evolution, KMail and/or Thunderbird.
>
> OTOH, one cas consider that both Gnome and KDE (the desktops which
> *will* be chosen by low-skilled users) already have their "standard"
> MUA and we don't need to provide another one by default.

Yes, please don't bloat the default system any more than necessary. I see
some added value for firefox as it is very well known and for some
websites one browser will work better than an other. But having multiple
MUA's seems redundant.