Re: [PROPOSAL] tasksel: improve and enhance language tasks

Quoting Joey Hess (joeyh@debian.org):

> > kde-i18n-<language> package (or koffice-i18n-<language>)and thus
> > indirectly imply installing KDE...or installing a useless package, as
> > desktop does not install KDE anymore.
>
> The desktop task certianly does install KDE still, if it's available.
> The kde and gnome task split does allow one or the other (or both!) to
> be dropped from a CD and the desktop task still be installed but that
> and a clearer internal division of the two is the only reason for that
> split and I don't see any real benefits from splitting the
> language-desktop tasks.

I'm afraid I fail to understand this. Up to now, I've not seen the new
tasksel (with splitted KDE/Gnome) in action, so that's probably why I
can't really figure out.

I saw the new changes as the longstanding request (which you were not
fond of) to offer choice between KDE and Gnomeas a kind of
"additionnal" tasks to the "base" desktop task.

Your explanations seem to imply that this doesn't actually work that
way and thus users still do not have the choice between
KDE/Gnome/Both. Am I right?

But, anyway, wouldn't splitting the language-desktop tasks also make
easier to drop tasks so that they fit on a CD (or help CDDs in the
same manner ?

> > 2) Include OpenOffice and Firefox l10n packages to ALL <language>-desktop tasks
>
> Agreed, if they're in a working state for all languages.

Well, given the number of such packages, this is hard to say, but
they're generated from the same source package with the same
dependencies and all the stuff is managed upstream. So, we just can
pre-suppose that the translation is of good quality as we can't really
judge it (and, imho, this is not really of our business)

> > 4) Include aspell-* packages to <language> tasks
> >
> > GNU aspell is now the standard spellchecking software on Unix systems.
>
> It's still optional priority. Does something pull it in during an
> install?

aspell-* will pull in apell itself, which has the following
dependencies:

Depends: libaspell15 (>= 0.60), libc6 (>= 2.3.2.ds1-21), libgcc1 (>= 1:4.0.1), libncursesw5 (>= 5.4-5), libstdc++6 (>= 4.0.1), libaspell15 (= 0.60.3-5), dictionaries-common (>> 0.40)

Some language tasks already include aspell-xx dictionaries, btw.

> > Non implemented proposal
> > ------------------------
> >
> > The desktop task currently install mozilla-firefox packages but should
> > IMHO also install mozilla-thunderbird packages. This probably is more
> > debatable (including debating in -devel), so I did not implement this
> > in my modified tasks.
>
> The desktop task includes firefox for the same reason it includes
> openoffice: These are the clear leaders in their spheres of use, to the
> point that anyone installing linux will expect them to be available.
> AFAIK this is not true of thunderbord.

I basically agree here (even though I have personnally chosen
Thunderbird as supported software in our company). However, I keep
thinking we should provide some "standard" MUA as part of Debian
desktop installs rather than leave this to users who will have hard
times chosing between Evolution, KMail and/or Thunderbird.

OTOH, one cas consider that both Gnome and KDE (the desktops which
*will* be chosen by low-skilled users) already have their "standard"
MUA and we don't need to provide another one by default.

If we don't provide Thunderbird, we should then remove the
mozilla-thunderbird-l10n packages from the language tasks.