Re: SATA install - AMD64 - success story

On Tue, Jul 26, 2005 at 11:09:05PM -0400, Jeff Breidenbach wrote:
> This image works, and I did a successful install with AHCI.
> I had to manually call insmod on libata.ko and ahci.ko,
> depmod did not work.

depmod generates a modules.dep file.  modprobe is what you use to load
modules (and theri dependant modules) in general.  insmod loads one
module (and that module only).

> Now that I have a working AHCI system, I cans ee what changes
> in the lscpi results when I switch the BIOS settings between
> AHCI and IDE compatibility mode. Here's the scoop:
>
> 0000:00:1f.2 0101: 8086:27c0 (rev 01)  --> Requires ata_piix module
> 0000:00:1f.2 0106: 8086:27c1 (rev 01)  --> Requires ahci module

Hmm, OK.  Well nice that it at least makes them possible to tell apart I
guess.

> Yes. And I guess I do have a Marvell Yukon ethernet which seems to work.
>
> 0000:01:05.0 Ethernet controller: Marvell Technology Group Ltd. Yukon \
> Gigabit Ethernet 10/100/1000Base-T Adapter (rev 13)

Well that's something else I guess I can add to the 'it now works' list.

> I tried the AMD64 installer dated July 21. Doesn't work - there's
> a problem right away with isolinux with an error message about
> not finding kernel linux.

Sounds odd.

> Ok. so this covers my needs for now. Hope some of this chatter was
> helpful.

Well at least it means I have made a somewhat useful image for sarge.

Len Sorensen