Re: SATA install - AMD64 - success story

>I've really no idea where people get all their SATA issues from, it's
>not had issues for me since Woody 3.0r2 was current.

Lucky you.

I still don't know how to make Debian see the disk in AHCI mode,
which is required for Native Command Queuing (NCQ).

I think if Lenart Sorensen remasters an AMD64 installer with
a 2.6.12 kernal *and* compiles the AHCI module (it's under
drivers/scsi) then I'll know what to do.[1]

My understanding - which may be wrong - is that even though the
module is part of the stock 2.6.12 sid kernel, it has to
be also inside initrd for things to boot properly. Getting the
AHCI module into initrd without the module being present in the
installer is beyond my skill level. [2]

>You should post the pci id and the vendor string of your
>sata device on the debian-boot mailing list.

I'm a different 'you' but for reference here's the entire
output of lspci, at least when I've told my BIOS to run
SATA in compatibility mode. Don't know if things change when
running in AHCI mode. [3]

I expect my hardware is a little bit on the new side at the moment,
but will become increasingly common.

Jeff