Re: Why discover1-data is so old in Debian Sarge, while in unstable is up to date ?
- To: Otavio Salvador <firstname.lastname@example.org>
- Cc: Eddy Petrisor <email@example.com>, Petter Reinholdtsen <firstname.lastname@example.org>, email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Subject: Re: Why discover1-data is so old in Debian Sarge, while in unstable is up to date ?
- From: Andreas Barth <email@example.com>
- Date: Sat, 11 Jun 2005 21:09:39 +0200
- Message-id: <[🔎] 20050611190939.GC2971@mails.so.argh.org>
- Mail-followup-to: Andreas Barth <firstname.lastname@example.org>, Otavio Salvador <email@example.com>, Eddy Petrisor <firstname.lastname@example.org>, Petter Reinholdtsen <email@example.com>, firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com
- In-reply-to: <[🔎] firstname.lastname@example.org>
- References: <[🔎] 20050605151753.GA25394@soften.ktu.lt> <[🔎] 20050605152238.GC26131@saruman.uio.no> <[🔎] 20050607122119.GB4214@ba.issia.cnr.it> <[🔎] 20050607181616.GK9207@saruman.uio.no> <[🔎] email@example.com> <[🔎] 20050611125319.GE21984@mails.so.argh.org> <[🔎] firstname.lastname@example.org>
* Otavio Salvador (email@example.com) [050611 21:04]:
> >>>>> "andreas" == Andreas Barth <firstname.lastname@example.org> writes:
> andreas> * Eddy Petrisor (email@example.com) [050608 21:03]:
> >> On 6/7/05, Petter Reinholdtsen <firstname.lastname@example.org> wrote: >
> >> [Francesco P. Lovergine] > > Someone suggested that
> >> discover1-data should enter the volatile > > archive. It could
> >> have sense, IMHO. That along with an up-to-date > > d-installer
> >> could allow installation of sarge for years from now...
> >> >
> >> > Would need a kernel with up to date drivers as well.
> >> so? can't there be modules, like the ones for pcmcia? I know
> >> backporting is hard sometimes, but the idea with discover in
> >> volatile, seems reasonable and justified.
> andreas> IMHO it's first the decision of the maintainers whether
> andreas> they consider an updated package in volatile to be
> andreas> sensible or not. Also, a newer kernel _might_ be possible
> andreas> in volatile one day - but that's not something for the
> andreas> weekend after the release of sarge. Whoever needs always
> andreas> the latest stuff is better off with backports.org and
> andreas> similar repositories.
> But kernel is a lot more complicated since it, to be used on
> install time, need a updated installer and a lot of other
> things. Only the kernel available on volatile doesn't solve the
> problem with unsuported hardware by install time.
Agreed. That is one of the resons why I don't consider it a target for
_now_. Perhaps a bit later, an e.g. updated netinst image might be a
good idea. But that's only circulating ideas, perhaps we just better
tell people "use the sid installer, and take the kernel from volatile".
Or something else.