Re: Why discover1-data is so old in Debian Sarge, while in unstable is up to date ?

* Eddy Petrisor (eddy.petrisor@gmail.com) [050608 21:03]:
> On 6/7/05, Petter Reinholdtsen <pere@hungry.com> wrote:
> > [Francesco P. Lovergine]
> > > Someone suggested that discover1-data should enter the volatile
> > > archive.  It could have sense, IMHO. That along with an up-to-date
> > > d-installer could allow installation of sarge for years from now...
> >
> > Would need a kernel with up to date drivers as well.

> so? can't there be modules, like the ones for pcmcia?
> I know backporting is hard sometimes, but the idea with discover in
> volatile, seems reasonable and justified.

IMHO it's first the decision of the maintainers whether they consider an
updated package in volatile to be sensible or not. Also, a newer kernel
_might_ be possible in volatile one day - but that's not something for
the weekend after the release of sarge. Whoever needs always the latest
stuff is better off with backports.org and similar repositories.

Cheers,
Andi