Re: GTK frontend, global progressbas support proposed

On Tue, May 17, 2005 at 02:27:09PM +0200, Frans Pop wrote:
> On Tuesday 17 May 2005 13:25, Colin Watson wrote:
> > One unresolved issue is that the main-menu progress bar should be
> > controlled by main-menu itself, not by cdebconf, which means that it
> > still needs to look good even if the frontend doesn't support multiple
> > progress bars. In practice this probably means that the main-menu
> > progress bar should be ignored by such frontends. I can't think of a
> > solution for this off the top of my head, although I haven't thought
> > about it for very long.
>
> Another issue could be that not all menu items need to be chosen for the
> installation to complete, so the question is if these should be counted.
> Examples are:
> - For i386 there are 3 options for bootloader installation; only one will
>   be chosen by the user.
> - The menu items "Shell", "Set debconf level", "Check CD integrity"

Right; that's relatively easy to implement by having main-menu only
count items up to NEVERDEFAULT (defined in main-menu.h).

One other thing that seems difficult to specify is how the progress bar
should behave before and after the anna run. I suppose some cunning use
of waypoints, like base-installer, could deal with that, but that would
still require knowing where the anna run actually *is* ...