Re: Q: Debian preseed settings + base-config

> Michael S. Peek wrote:
> > I'm working on an automated Debian installation using the
> > sarge-i386-businesscard.iso image.
> >
> > I have in my preseed files the following:
> >
> >   debconf      debconf/priority           string  critical
> >   base-config  base-config/intro          note
> >
> > However, when the system reboots to finish the installation, base-config
> > still stops at the "Debian base system configuration" menu, with "Display
> > introductory message" highlighted.  I thought the above settings were
> > supposed to prevent that.
>
> You're being dropped into low or medium priority for some reason. If you
> started the installation in expert mode, that's why; if you didn't then
> some error occurred during the first stage which should have brought it
> to the menu there, and the second stage priority is following along with
> that. Expert mode installs are not partitulrly preseedable, if it's in
> high priority you skip the menus.

It must be an error then.  This worked before I started mucking about with my
preseed files.

I switched to vt#2 and started poking aorund.  In /var/log/base-config.log I
found an error refering me to /usr/share/perl5/Debconf/Priority.pm, line 17,
which reads:

  sub high_enough {
          my $priority=shift;
          return 1 if ! exists $priorities{$priority};
*>        return $priorities{$priority} >= $priorities{Debconf::Config->priority};
  }

Then I took a closer look at my debconf/priority setting:

> >   debconf      debconf/priority           string  critical

There's two spaces between "string" and "critical".

I removed the extra space and re-ran the installation -- it works again.

Thanks for your help,

Michael Peek