Re: sarge netinst can fill up /v/cache/apt

Regarding the "how much is going to download?", I'm not sure anymore since at this point it is after the fact. From what I remember it was 600+MB. I can do a "df" for you of the current state of the root partition for you (minus supplementary partitions).

/dev/hda7             480M  225M  230M  50% /
tmpfs                 315M     0  315M   0% /dev/shm
/dev/hda8             5.0G  2.4G  2.4G  50% /usr
/dev                  480M  225M  230M  50% /.dev
none                  5.0M  2.7M  2.4M  54% /dev

I'm a bit unsure as to why that is important... i.e. you said it should have checked the size, but then you mention the unpacking (a deb at a time? all into the root partition?) might have blown it.

Regarding the squid, I'm assuming set up the squid on my machine. If so, how does that save me the download? (You're beginning to wander a bit out of my area now, I'm not an "established" sysadmin, i.e. paid, just a patchwork admin. Programming languages is more in my area...)

jeff