Re: PowerPC Clone fails booting 2.6 d-i floppy

On Wed, Oct 20, 2004 at 05:28:27PM -0400, Rick Thomas wrote:

> On Oct 19, 2004, at 9:40 AM, Duane Cottle wrote:
>
> >So far, I've found a few possible options if I want to pass kernel
> >args w/ boot floppies on this box:
> >
> >1) Make my own miboot image - maybe a bit off track as I'm trying to
> >test _these_ floppies; however, if I got that to work, my success might
> >help the developers. (?)
>
> I've not tried this.  It *may* work.  But, as you say, it's off-track.

It does work fine his way. Actually the best idea is to build your own d-i
miboot floppies, after having modified the adequate file
(installer/build/config/powerpc/powerpc/floppy/boot.cfg i think).

> >2) Pass 'boot-file' arguments from the OF prompt. Something, again,
> >that
> >_might_ help the wizards forego that requirement from installers on
> >this platform: and something I've puposefully neglected doing for
> >obvious reasons to those, like me, who spend too much time in OFland.
> >;)
>
> I've tried this.  It doesn't work.  The arguments never get to the
> kernel.  I'm not sure why.
>

> >Both are yucky, but if nobody can give me course corrections, I guess
> >I'm headed back down. Oh, where are you liloppc or grubppc?
> >
> >Regards,
> >Duane
>
> I've been wondering about maybe trying the following...
>
> BootX takes a kernel image and an initrd image and loads them into
> memory along with some kernel args.
>
> Why can't I take the kernel image and the ramdisk image off the
> floppies and hand them to BootX along with my desired kerenel args?

BootX should have kernel arg option. Not entirely sure since the version of it
i have is localized in greek, so i didn't play with it much.

Friendly,

Sven Luther