Re: PowerPC Clone fails booting 2.6 d-i floppy

On Oct 19, 2004, at 9:40 AM, Duane Cottle wrote:

So far, I've found a few possible options if I want to pass kernel
args w/ boot floppies on this box:

1) Make my own miboot image - maybe a bit off track as I'm trying to
test _these_ floppies; however, if I got that to work, my success might
help the developers. (?)

I've not tried this.  It *may* work.  But, as you say, it's off-track.

2) Pass 'boot-file' arguments from the OF prompt. Something, again, that
_might_ help the wizards forego that requirement from installers on
this platform: and something I've puposefully neglected doing for
obvious reasons to those, like me, who spend too much time in OFland. ;)

I've tried this. It doesn't work. The arguments never get to the kernel. I'm not sure why.

Both are yucky, but if nobody can give me course corrections, I guess
I'm headed back down. Oh, where are you liloppc or grubppc?

Regards,
Duane

I've been wondering about maybe trying the following...

BootX takes a kernel image and an initrd image and loads them into memory along with some kernel args.

Why can't I take the kernel image and the ramdisk image off the floppies and hand them to BootX along with my desired kerenel args?

That would give me a straightforward way of setting the kernel arguments without having to make my own boot floppies.

What do you think?

Rick