tenative timeline for rc1 release (and DebConf)

The next release of d-i should not be a beta. It should be something
that we feel is suitable to be used in a real Debian release. This means
that we can't afford to put out a release with significant known bugs of
the kind documented in the errata, if fixes are known for the bugs.

In trying to construct a timeline for such a release, things are
complicated by DebConf4. While our target date for this release is the
end of the month, and it would be great to be able to put out the
release during DebConf, this is not the most important thing we'll do at
DebConf. The most important thing will be getting together, sharing
problems, visions, and goals, doing longer-term planning, buying drinks,
getting other DD's hooked on d-i development[1], working on some of our
hard problems, etc. We have shown that we can put out beta-quality
releases without a DebConf, so it's important to use DebConf not only
for making a better release, but for doing the things that come so much
more easily in person and have larger effects in d-i later on.

This timeline tries to balance these needs. The basic plan is to
continue the process of getting fixed udebs into testing using the
criteria I mentioned previously, and soon after the beginning of
DebConf4 produce a test candidate build. Then we begin a period of
intense and wide-ranging testing of this build. We can take advantage of
some d-i developers being at a conference with lab rats^W^Wwilling
volenteers to do some real-life usability testing, while filling out the
remainder of the arches that need testing with d-i folk who did not make
the conference, and with some minor advertising for testing. After
several days of testing, we will have the information to decide whether
this test candidate is good enough to release. If not, we can add
appropriate fixes to testing, and repeat the cycle in a week.

20 may		sarge_d-i cds become the default for testing
		branch for rc1
		string freeze begins
21-24 may	testing and fixes, udeb propagation to testing
25 may		string freeze ends
		translated udebs uploaded to archive
26 may		debconf4 begins
		translated udebs (with no code changes) put in testing
		initrd builds begin
27 may		initrd builds finish, CD builds done, test candidate available
		begin testing
28 may		testing continues..
29 may		testing continues..
30		go/no-go day - is it good enough to release?
31		release day if go, else add fixes to testing and repeat
02 june		end of debconf4

Note that the 21-24 may time period is more important than it appears.
This is where we build our release and make possibly the last code
changes, and we should expect to come out of it with something very
close to release quality. It will be important to get quite a lot of
testing done in that time period.

When we're checking out the test candidate, it's essential that we cover
all arches and as many installation methods as we can. An important
question is whether too many of our key testers -- folk like Bdale and
Jeff Bailey -- will be at the conference and so away from their arch
farms at home. Also we need to know what hardware will be at the
conference -- i386 will no no problem, but what other arches will be
covered there?

I want to have people lined up ahead of time for each architecture who
will be available to do some testing during both time periods. So please
make a commitment now if you can.

(I myself can promise that I will test i386 installs from: usb key (on
real hardware) and on CD, floppy + network, and floppy + cd (vmware).
Also 32 mb installs from floppy and from CD. Oh, and 2.6 installs from
usb key and from CD. I will be unable to test netboot at least during
the 21-24 may period, and also won't be able to check wireless stuff, or
obscure i386 hardware. With a total of 7 installs in vmware, it will take
me approximatly 2 days to do this testing.)

--
see shy jo

[1] Hey, it happened to me at the last DebConf..