Re: slashdotted

Quoting Rahmat M. Samik-Ibrahim (rms46@ui.edu):

> Skilled hackers might use Gentoo. In my understanding, Debian is for
> "real sysadmins" with real production systems. Or for anyone who needs
> super-stability.

Well, I don't see anything like this in our Social Contract..:-)

For sure, this is the current situation.

But think about things like Skolelinux and similar projects. What will
happen with dozens of school around several countries will offer
Debian-based computers to their students (I'm also thinking about the
similar project in spanish Estramadure, though I'm note sure it is
Debian-based) ? Maybe these users will want to have the same tool at
home. Maybe not today...but maybe in a few years.

We have a distribution we all contribute to because we think its
design is well-suited for stability/scalability/... We have to right
to imagine this distribution can serve as a basis for more targetted
disttributions, including those for our friend Bob...

This is why I think d-i is also targeted to Bob, but also for his
friends Pierre, Alessandro, Ramon, Muhammad, Shlomi, Shigehisa,
Havard, Nikolai, Mamadou and others I apologize for forgetting...:-)

This should not make us forget the *current* Debian users, the highly
skilled Unix hackers speaking a strange jargon loosely related to
English and addicted to the very latest technologies....:-)

IMHO, on several points, the current installer has started to answer
both needs...

And That Shall be Good...