Re: goals for next release

On Tue, Jan 27, 2004 at 10:26:03PM +0100, Steinar H. Gunderson wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 27, 2004 at 04:18:30PM -0500, Joey Hess wrote:
> > Here are the items from the TODO that are possibilities for the next
> > release, with commentary. I'm trying to get an early sense of what time
> > period to aim for for the next release too. Please add comments and
> > corrections and new items.
>
> New item:
>
>    - document automated installations (?)
>
> I think quite a lot of people will want to use d-i with automated installs in
> the end, and sooner or later we'll have to get end-user feedback on this...
>
> Perhaps I should just make something super-automated (FAI2?) and document it,
> but I don't think we will reach that for beta3 ;-)

I for sure would love to use automated d-i installs since I have close
to 70 machines which are all going to be used for giving students
training on FLOSS (Free/Libre and Open Source Software) using Debian.
I'm really interested in pre-seeding methods used to feed pre-answered
questions to the debconf database. *That* would be a killer feature,
believe me.

Also, maybe not a goal for beta3, but RAID support would be wonderful. I
mean, not only the kernels modules (it's already in place), but giving
the mdcfg (which was mentioned here some days ago) a try and improving
it to make it usable. LVM and RAID support in d-i are two highly desired
features.

One question : Is SATA support available only in d-i kernels or is it
also available in the stock Debian kernels ? I searched for SATA in
kernel-image-2.4.24's changelog and README.Debian and did not found
anything (and I'm using one i386 arch).

I think that SATA support needs to be available in stock Debian kernels or
else users won't be able to boot their machines after the installation
as it seems that a normal kernel-image (not a d-i kernel) is installed
after the usual install process.

Evidently, I'm not in a position to provide patches to any of these
items as I have only limited knowledgment, which can be used to help as a
translator and not as a developer, but I would be glad if d-i would
release with all these features available :-)

--
||  André Luís Lopes                 andrelop@debian.org                ||