goals for next release

I'm not going to call it "beta 3" yet; who knows..

Here are the items from the TODO that are possibilities for the next
release, with commentary. I'm trying to get an early sense of what time
period to aim for for the next release too. Please add comments and
corrections and new items.

 - fix all beta2 errata (a must)

	First we have to work out what the remaining errata are. There are
	over 100 uncateogrised install reports now.

	ETA: Unknown.

 - security fixed, 2.4.24 kernel (with SATA support)

        Done for stock i386.

	Other arches may not be able to update to 2.4.24, but should at
	least be updated to versions w/o all the security problems.
	I think powerpc is completly fixed already, what about the rest?

	This also seems like a must for the next release.

	ETA: Couple of weeks?

 - discover 2

	I don't know exactly what the plans are here, I have heard talk of
	using discover 1 for d-i and 2 for the installed system?

	This does not seem critical for the next release, but I hope
	something happens soon.

	ETA: Unknown.

 - partman (fixes many issues with current system)

	Initial version available, not default yet.
        Meeds some UI polishing.

	It's probably too soon to say if this will be the default
	partitioner in the next release.

	ETA: Three weeks to a month.

 - grub as default boot loader

	Done except testing.

 - XFS support in official release

	Kinda depends on upstream kernel release schedules, should not block
	a release.

 - 2.6 kernel

	I have hopes, but it should not block a release if it doesn't
	get done.

 - improved languagechooser (split out country chooser)

        In progress, but in a sense still in the design stage. We keep
	coming up with better ideas.

	Probably mandatory for next release, since some base-config
	improvements depend on it.

	ETA: Two or three weeks.

 - less questions in base-config (using more answers from d-i)

	One queston has been removed since beta 2. There is potential
	to remove several more.

	ETA: Two weeks to a month.

 - better i18n in the second stage

	I don't know what the status is. Perhaps Kenshi Muto knows?
	Probably mandatory for next release.

	ETA: ??

 - improved image names

	In progress, though I've not seen it. Thiemo Seufer is working on
	it.

	ETA: A week or two.

 - udebs and debs with same names

	No progress; ftp-master is still busy with beta2 stuff and
	non-d-i stuff and I have not brought it up lately.

	ETA: One month.

 - better wireless support

        Wireless-tools-udeb is available.
        No easy configurator yet.

	We could release without this, but I hope not to..

	ETA: 1 week after someone starts writing it :-P

 - better pcmcia support

	No recent activity. Needs someone with lots of pcmcia hardware
	and the will to get it to work.

	I don't know if this is a release blocker or not. There's lots of
	users with pcmcia out there still.

 - a manual

	There's a provisional build system in cvs now, but the manual is still
	unfinished. I think we should try to include at least the unfinished
	manual in the next release.

 - a graphical syslinux boot screen (needs an artist)

	No progress. On the other hand, something like this might be
	easy to turn into a decent boot screen:

	http://lychnis.net/img/Debian-background.png

	Not a blocker for the next release, but there are good reasons to
	want a graphical boot screen.

 - BIDI support (for Arabic)

	?

 - subarchitecture support for powerpc and m68k

	In progress. Actually, this may still happen for beta2/powerpc.

	ETA: ?

 - move to subversion

	Not a release goal, but if it's going to happen, it needs to happen
	sometime well before the release, as it can disrupt development
	for a week or so. I'm undecided between doing it soon, or waiting 1
	month for subversion 1.0 and doing it sometime after that.

	If we decide not to do it soon, at least one very ugly reorg
	of the doc and build directories will have to happen using CVS,
	which won't be pretty.

--
see shy jo