Re: Kudos and nitpicking of german translation of d-i

> Actually, many times we germans use english computer terms. Almost no one
> says "Hauptplatine", but most say "Motherboard". "Auslagerungsspeicher" is
> only used by braindead Microsoft documentation, everyone uses just "Swap".

Including newbies? Or people coming from the Dark Side...

We need to target everyone for our installer, so making our possible
for using normal language terminology wherever possible is likely.

The compromise in French was "espace d'échange (« swap »)". We often
do so in french translations.

> > OK, not directed to language, I may fix this. What are the official quotes
> > in german typography?
>
> It's ", double-Quotes.
>
> But the real Problem is that those quotes are empty, somehow the filling in
> did not work.

Yep. This was a bug in those two strings. I fuzzied them so that
translators may notice and I even mailed Thorsten about this.

> > I just fixed it in HEAD, but this draws a terminal problem. As soon as
> > an extended character shows up in cfdisk's screens, the screen is
> > messed up. As I'm pretty sure there are umlauts in cfdisk's
> > translation, the problem is here.
>
> IF this would be the only way, I'm sure that non-english speaking germans
> could live with the two-letter versions of our umlauts. E.g., if I don't
> know any english, I would prefer, in this order, these nouns:
>
> 100%  auswählen
> 90 %   auswaehlen
> 10 %  select
>
> If, for a technical reason, 1. doesn't go then the second option with 90%
> "i-like-it" value is still much better than foreign words.
>
> ä -> ae
> ö -> oe
> ü -> ue
> ß -> ss
> Ä -> Ae or AE if next character is capital as well
> Ö -> Oe or OE if next character is capital as well
> Ü -> Ue or UE if next character is capital as well
>
> Not sure if other languages have similar widespread second writings.

No. Anyway, this would require a rewrite of util-linux translations
which is quite unlikely.