Re: Kudos and nitpicking of german translation of d-i

(see my comment at the end of this mail!)

Quoting Erich Waelde (Erich.Waelde@t-online.de):

> * Choose Language (de_DE)
>
>     after selecting German/Germany
>     everything goes to German translations EXCEPT first line:
>     "Choose  Language" :-)

This is intentional (we should make this a FAQ....:-)) so that people
mistakenly choosing the wrong language may still change this easily.

> * Select a Keyboard Layout (PS/2, US_english)
>
>   * PC Keyboard
>
>   * then on 2nd screen (choose keyboard layout) some characters appear
>     scrambled, e.g. "W_hlen Sie das Tastaturlayout"  where _ is actually 2
>     characters, a 'Ã' and a Euro sign.

Known and already fixed console-data bug.

>     <nitpicking>
>     Title: Wählen Sie eine Tastaturbelegung aus
>     Text:  Wählen Sie das Tastaturlayout für die PC-Tastatur aus:
>
>     would use same term 'Tastaturbelegung' in both cases.

Sure. Moreover, correct me if I'm wrong but "Tastaturlayout" is an
horrible mix of german and english, isn't it? :-)

>     The "death keys" were mentioned by someone else (Tottasten)
>     </nitpicking>

2-1 for tote Tasten..:-)

>     "Einige Module konnten nicht geladen werden"
>     "Das '', das für '' benötigt wird ... "
>     Seems to me that $vars were 'quoted' and now only the '' are left ...

OK, not directed to language, I may fix this. What are the official quotes
in german typography?

> * Load installer components (cdrom-retriever)
>
>   Komponenten des Installers laden
>
>   cdrom-retriever: Fetch modules from a CDROM
>   floppy-retriever: Fetches modules from a floppy
>
>   title and text are translated, but menu items are not. Could use the same
>   text, though.

Probably already fixed.

>   Progress bar says "empfange <package>" here,  see below ...
>

> * Main Menu
>
>   Still "Choose language"
>
>   last item: "Neustart des Systems" restart of system, äh, boot or restart
>   the installer? not entirely clear to me from the german text (its
>   reboot).

Well, in french we've chosen "Redémarrer le système". It seems pretty
well accepted that this means "Rebooter le système" (which most geeks
will say....but this is awful frenglish and we don't want this)

>   same confusion in "Installation beenden und neustarten". What is
>   restarted?
>
>     <nitpicking>
>     Installation des Bootloaders LILO auf einer Festplatte
>     Installiere den GRUB Bootloader auf einer Festplatte
>
>     same activity, different phrasing.

This is the main menu ? So this should be the infinitive
form.

>     </nitpicking>
>
>     <nitpicking>
>     "Basis-System" and "Grundsystem" are both used (base-system), where I
>     would suggest to consistently use "Basis-System".
>     </nitpicking>

All this is not nitpicking but careful reading. Such good consistency
among translations render the installation a bit more difficult to
newbies, so this definitely *has* to be fixed.

> * Partition a hard drive
>
>     cfdisk is talking English with me. I think this has been
>     reported/discussed and possibly fixed somewhere other than this
>     particular netinst image.

Difficult topic.

I just fixed it in HEAD, but this draws a terminal problem. As soon as
an extended character shows up in cfdisk's screens, the screen is
messed up. As I'm pretty sure there are umlauts in cfdisk's
translation, the problem is here.

partitioner (and thus cfdisk) is likely to be abandoned in favour of
partman, so this may disappear. I'll open a thread about this.

> * Configure and mount partitions
>
>     Title and Text ok, Menu 3 of 5 not translated:
>     "Dateisystem bleibt erhalten"
>     "Create ext2 file system"
>     "Create ext3 file system"
>     "Create reiserfs file system"
>     "Erstelle Auslagerungsspeicher"

This definitely needs to be fixed for the release. The translations
are there but not used.

>     <nitpicking>
>     "Erstelle Auslagerungsspeicher" add "(swap)" IMHO
>     I'm too deep into computers to know what a "Auslagerungsspeicher" is.
>     Easy, it's swap. But I haven't heard this before.

I already saw some debate about this. French decided to use the term
used in MS Windows : "Espace d'échange", but also add "(swap)" for
incurable geeks....:-)

> * Configure the keyboard
>
>     display a message of "failed to dump keyboard" type ... never seen that
>     before.
>
>     Falls into "Configure console data" screen
>     Title translated, but Text isn't "The keymap describes how keys are ..."
>
>     Next screen: "Konfiguriere console-data"
>     Title: "What policy do you want to apply regarding keymaps"
>     List items and buttons are translated.
>
>     select from list: qwerty / US american / Standard
>
>     ==> failed to dump keymap
>     ==> back to main menu.

Known console-data bug. Fixed, I guess.

> * Configure timezone
>
>     <nitpicking>
>     menu: Zeitzone Konfigurieren (s/K/k/) typo
>
>     "Universal time coordinated" UTC, not "universal coordinated time", is
>     it not?

Well, probably. Will look at this-->this would lead to an "upstream"
bug in english templates.

>     "Die Hardware-Uhr sagt ..."
>     why not:
>     "Zeit der Hardware-Uhr: $DATE"
>
>     Region strings are translated, e.g. "Kanada"
>     Cities in that Region are not, e.g. "Athens" or "Brussels"
>     </nitpicking>

I think this lies in the tzconfig package. Maybe an incomplete german
translation of it (no net access for checking currently)

> * Setup users and root passwd
>

>    Title: "Password setup" not translated???

Incomplete german translation for the shadow package.

>    Text: typo "in einer separaten Datein" <- trailing 'n'
>          typo "von Speziellen Programmen" s/S/s/

Error in shadow package translation

>    after root passwd:
>    not translated: "It's a bad idea to use the root account ..."
>
>    next screen
>    not translated: "A user account will be created ..."

Ditto.

> ---- By the way ----------------
>   where did the screen about crypt/md5sum encryption of passwd strings end
>   up?  I think this is fairly important to fix.
> -------------------------------

It has been abandoned in the shadow package, AFAIK. Or it is low
debconf priority.

> * Set the host name
>
>     <nitpicking>
>     menu: "Hostname festlegen"  Hm. "Rechnername" maybe? I know a fair
>     number of Germans, who claim "host" == "mainframe". I've had
>     discussions. So I suggest to use "Rechnername" instead.
>     </nitpicking>

Always a debate in french too. French team decided to use "Nom
d'hôte", thus a literal translation. But in such case, you'll always
find an übergeek who thinks this is "ununderstandable".....

> Enough nitpicking for today.

This is a great report, Erich, danke sehr. I'm sure it will be very
useful to the german translators.

I hope that the above answers some of your observations.