Re: beta 2 and beyond

Quoting Joey Hess (joeyh@debian.org):
> I've gone ahead and started the beta 2 release process. CD images are in

Great work, great summary, great everything...As usual..:-)

>  - partman
>  	Likewise, the plan here is to get it into the installer but with
> 	a menu item that makes it non-default (like autopartkit) until
> 	we're comfortable with it. Since it meets requirement I., it can
> 	go in soon.

However, I find its location in the CVS tree quite strange. Why isn't
it under tools? Seems a pretty minor problem but this needs to be
fixed, imho.

Will we completely drop out fdisks and partitioner or keep it as an
"expert" option?

>  - improved languagechooser
>  	Possibly with country selection split out, but we need to try
> 	it that way and see if we like it enough to add the extra
> 	question. Christian can upload the new countrychooser when he's
> 	happy with it (I.), but will have to wait to change languagechooser
> 	in unstable (X.).

I'm OK with this. The new countrychooser is able to work concurrently
with the "old" languagechooser anyway.

I'll post a summary about the design of both and the possible drawbacks

>  - three more ports
>  	Bringing the total released architectures to 7 or 8. alpha,
> 	hppa, mipsel, and sparc seem like contenders.
>
> Please add to this list, though goodness knows, it's long enough
> already.

  - BIDI support
       Adding support for languages needing BiDirectional support
       in newt, which will probably allow Arabic translations to
       be usable (and a possible Hebrew translation, I think)

  - i18n
       More languages : 24 are currently over 50% in HEAD. Catalan may
       come if I piss off Jordi Mallach enough. Turkish was supposed
       to climb but does not. Other are really anecdotical.