beta 2 and beyond

I've gone ahead and started the beta 2 release process. CD images are in
place and I will send out the release announcement once the web site has
updated. (Some install media won't appear in sarge until tomorrow's
dinstall.)

I have to say that this release took longer to get done than I'd hoped.
We started out strong, the compromise was unavoidable and was handled as
well as can be expected, the string freeze went well, the holiday
slowdown was worse than I expected, and then it felt to me as if things
trailed off at the end instead of us making a big push to finish the
release. I'm going to think about this and try to figure out things that
went wrong and how to avoid them, and I'd appreciate any insights anyone
might have.

Anyway with luck we now have a firm release, available in the sarge
distribution, for three architectures, which is an important step along
the way to sarge releasing with d-i.

In a sense we're not done with beta2 yet, since we have between 1 and
2.5 architectures that are still in positions to possibly be added to
the beta in a week or two. At the same time, I am eager to open unstable
back up to continued development especially with so many improvements
already waiting to go in. The conflict here is that if a package is
destablised in unstable, and then the beta2 "backport" needs to get a
minor fix to that package into sarge to make it work on a pending
architecture, I won't be able to get that fix into sarge; it will be
blocked by the changes in unstable.

So starting after tomorrow's dinstall (just in case something goes
wrong), unstable is reopened for uploads of:

	I.   NEW udebs (partman, etc), that are not present in sarge.
	II.  Any changes necessary for mips, alpha, and powerpc subarches,
	     targeted at beta 2.
	III. udebs that are only for architectures that do not plan to
	     release with beta 2 (such as boot loader installers for
	     unreleased architectures)
	IV.  udebs that are only for architectures that have already
	     released for beta 2

But is still closed to uploads of:

	X.   Developmental changes of udebs that are in beta2. (busybox,
	     build/, base-installer, main-menu, anna, etc, etc)

Porters who want to keep working on beta2 will need to use the CD images
that don't include unstable udebs for testing, and as they fix problems,
tell me what udebs include the fix so I[1] can push them into sarge.
This may make things a little bit harder for you, which is why I've
added the extra week. We can make another announcement once more ports
are ready for beta2.

There are many things I'm looking forward to seeing in the next release
of d-i. Here is my wishlist:

 - security fixed, 2.4.23 kernel (with SATA support)
 	This should be relatively easy to roll out, I intend to update
	linux-kernel-di for i386 soon, adding the 2.4.23 kernel while
	keeping 2.4.22, and transition over to it. This will go into
	unstable as it meets requirements I. and III. above.
 - discover 2
 	I guess all the hard work has been done. IIRC the plan is to
	upload it with a different name, so we can test installs using
	it before swtiching overything away from discover 1. If this
	does not involve renaming the existing discover udeb, it will
	meet requirement I., and can be uploaded to unstable soon.
 - partman
 	Likewise, the plan here is to get it into the installer but with
	a menu item that makes it non-default (like autopartkit) until
	we're comfortable with it. Since it meets requirement I., it can
	go in soon.
 - grub
 	Fairly early in this cycle we need to swtich to grub as the
	default boot loader on i386, so we can be confident it works
	before the next release. It might be nice if a few of
	grub-installer's worst bugs were fixed first though.
 - XFS
 	Could happen a number of ways, either as an alternate boot on
	the CDs, or by XFS finally being added to stock 2.4.25/6, or by
	d-i getting support for 2.6. I'm sure that Steve will come up
	with something.
 - 2.6 kernel
 	For some arches at least, possibly not as the default but
	available as an alternate boot on the CDs. Blocked by discover 2.
 - better i18n in the second stage
 	We need to work out something in base-config that works as well
	as d-i does for all our supported languages. Kensi has some
	ideas, but they are not firm.
 - improved languagechooser
 	Possibly with country selection split out, but we need to try
	it that way and see if we like it enough to add the extra
	question. Christian can upload the new countrychooser when he's
	happy with it (I.), but will have to wait to change languagechooser
	in unstable (X.).
 - improved image names
 	The floppy and initrd images need to be renamed using clearer
	names and a deeper tree structure used to hold them on the ftp
	site. The disruption should be mild, but we will have to
	coordinate with debian-cd and get docs updated too.
 - udebs and debs with same namea
 	Some key changes in base-config are being blocked because we
	cannot add debs of choose-mirror, etc to the archive. At the
	same time, there is some uglyness in the initrd builds that
	could be avoided if we could have a udeb named libc6. This seems
	doable, but will require the assistance of the ftp-master and
	has the potential to cause unanticipated problems.
 - switch to subversion
 	It would be good to reorganise the tree, and some things are
	waiting on that being done. Since this has the potential to
	disrupt everything else during the transition, we'll have to be
	very cautious.
 - better wireless support
 	I think that a wireless-tools udeb just went in, but a frontend
	to that is needed.
 - better pcmcia support
 	Something that works more than 40% of the time would be good.
 - a manual
 	Seems to be making progress, but needs to make more progress.
 - a graphical boot screen
 	Besides looking polished, one advantage is that this can avoid
	confronting non-English speakers with a page of English in
	syslinux.
 	Technically this should be both easy and reasonably safe to do
	on i386. Artistically, it's a limited medium and I'm not up to
	it, and I don't know if anyone reading this is. I have been
	mulling over the idea of a contest of some sort.
 - three more ports
 	Bringing the total released architectures to 7 or 8. alpha,
	hppa, mipsel, and sparc seem like contenders.

Please add to this list, though goodness knows, it's long enough
already.

--
see shy jo

[1] Or rather, the ftp-master behind the curtain.