Re: beta 2 and beyond

On Thu, Jan 15, 2004 at 07:54:08AM +0100, Thorsten Sauter wrote:

> |  - XFS
> |  	Could happen a number of ways, either as an alternate boot on
> | 	the CDs, or by XFS finally being added to stock 2.4.25/6, or by
> | 	d-i getting support for 2.6. I'm sure that Steve will come up
> | 	with something.

> please do not use a different boot method for this. Just let us include
> it in the same way like all other filesystems. I think XFS is often used
> by people. And I really like to see it in the normal installer.

I would love to see it as part of the stock kernel, but I don't want to
risk destabilizing the kernel for non-XFS users.  I'll continue working
on the XFS-flavor images until they're superseded by integrated XFS in
a released 2.4 kernel, or by a viable 2.6 d-i boot method.

> |  - 2.6 kernel
> |  	For some arches at least, possibly not as the default but
> | 	available as an alternate boot on the CDs. Blocked by discover 2.

> is anybody working on the 2.6 kernel tree for powerpc machines? Sven?

If 2.6 support gets good enough, it's possible the alpha port will want
to switch to it completely.  There seem to be lots of hardware-specific
problems with the later 2.4 kernels on alpha, that some say may be fixed
in 2.6.  Unfortunately I haven't used 2.6 at all yet, so there'll be a
learning curve to overcome unless someone else wants to work on this.

Cheers,
--
Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer