Re: 2.6 debian-installer

On Dec 19, Bruce Perens <bruce@perens.com> wrote:

 >>I did, but upstream is very slow at accepting patches.
 >>I also removed all bashisms.
 >Please send the patches to me.
Done.

 >>>  * Add these facilities to hotplug:
 >>>        o Detect parallel ports. Load the drivers first, then probe them.
 >>>        o Detect serial ports. Again, load the drivers first, then
 >>>        o Detect monitors on video cards.
 >>>

 >>These are not jobs for hotplug, as the kernel does not provide plug
 >>events for these devices.
 >Plug events aren't provided for boot-time devices, they are enumerated,
 >and all of their plug events are synthesized by their hotplug <bus>.rc
 >scripts. Currently tty devices are enumerated as a class under
 >/sys/class, but not as bus devices. Parallel ports aren't enumerated at
 >all. I will look at enumerating platform and ISA bus devices (I haven't
 >tried the ISA PNP driver). PCI VGA cards are enumerated, and get hotplug
 >events if you have a hot-plug PCI. Once we get an event for them, I
 >think it is OK to query them for their monitor.
I know about this, and I still have some doubts about hotplug becoming a
kitchen sink hardware detection subsystem. I like the idea of it
automatically loading drivers for all PCI, USB and input devices (i.e.
about everything on a modern system), but I do not want it to become
bloated.

If the kernel does not provide plug events for these devices then you
can as well (and probably more easily, as the hotplug code is a mess and
forces you to use only POSIX sh code and commands outside /usr) write a
standalone tool which enumerates these devices and do something
appropriate.
Moreover, it's probably wasted time to bother being smart about some
kinds of legacy devices:

- serial mice and printers
- ISA cards

These devices are not common nowadays, and people who own them probably
know enough about linux to load whatever driver is needed.

Something to configure printers would be cool, but it should be tied to
CUPS, not to hotplug.
All modern printers are USB devices, so a possible way to support
autoconfiguration would be adding the USB VID/PID to the foomatic
printers database. IIRC recent parallel printers had some kind of ID
too, so it may be easy to autoconfigure these too.

Monitors are already detected by the X postinst script, so I'm not sure
about what you are looking for.

--
ciao, |
Marco | [3687 badGcIvamk1XE]