Re: Proposal for languagechooser and language list

On Wed, Dec 17, 2003 at 10:50:07AM -0600, Steve Langasek wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 15, 2003 at 07:25:26AM +0100, Christian Perrier wrote:
> > > I don't think a two-stage selection is all that necessary.  That seems
> > > like added complexity for little benefit; the list is only made a little
> > > longer by including all locales in a single list, and the fewer
> > > questions the better.
>
> > Sure, but do we really need to have this huge list of locales, some of
> > which being quite confidential  (de_BE or de_NL, for
> > instance....german speaking parts of Belgium or Netherlands are indeed
> > really small....no offense intended, but how mmuch people will really
> > choose this?). On the other hand, this combination should be made
> > possible, so this is why I proposed to go to a 2 stage question.
>
> Is this a list of languages in which to run the installer, or a list of
> all available locales?  Do we really have different d-i translations for
> de_BE vs. de_NL?

No, we don't.  However, there are a few other things related to the
locale, such as the monetary unit, the default paper size, the collating
sequence, and so on.  Although the difference isn't that large in the
case of "nl_BE" vs.  "nl_NL" (thanks to the euro), there is a
difference; so even if in a given case, assigning nl_NL to LC_MESSAGES
has the same result as assigning nl_BE to that same variable, there may
still be a significant difference.

OK, this assumes that the code actually cares about those other parts of
i18n which isn't the case in most situations, but still...

--
Wouter Verhelst
"Stop breathing down my neck." "My breathing is merely a simulation."