Re: Proposal for languagechooser and language list

On Wed, Dec 17, 2003 at 08:02:43PM +0100, Wouter Verhelst wrote:

> > > Sure, but do we really need to have this huge list of locales, some of
> > > which being quite confidential  (de_BE or de_NL, for
> > > instance....german speaking parts of Belgium or Netherlands are indeed
> > > really small....no offense intended, but how mmuch people will really
> > > choose this?). On the other hand, this combination should be made
> > > possible, so this is why I proposed to go to a 2 stage question.
> >
> > Is this a list of languages in which to run the installer, or a list of
> > all available locales?  Do we really have different d-i translations for
> > de_BE vs. de_NL?

> No, we don't.  However, there are a few other things related to the
> locale, such as the monetary unit, the default paper size, the collating
> sequence, and so on.

-- none of which are relevant to the installer, and should therefore
not be tied to this initial question for that reason alone.

> Although the difference isn't that large in the case of "nl_BE" vs.
> "nl_NL" (thanks to the euro), there is a difference; so even if in a
> given case, assigning nl_NL to LC_MESSAGES has the same result as
> assigning nl_BE to that same variable, there may still be a
> significant difference.

> OK, this assumes that the code actually cares about those other parts of
> i18n which isn't the case in most situations, but still...

Is this all theoretical, or can you think of a concrete case where l10n
is used for something other than LC_MESSAGES in d-i proper?

--
Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer