Re: Praise + possible bugs

* Geert Stappers <stappers@stappers.nl> [031217 13:48]:
> > Pretending that "the masses" have a DHCP server available is just silly.
>
> There is more to configure then the network.

This is a important point. But in my eyes it is a reason to ask more
questions, as daredevil guessing might have a good change to work with
one thing. With many things there is the alternative between a small
(but reasonable) amout of questions for all or having tiny amount of
questions for the minority calling themself "standard users" while
everybody else has to answer all questions.

> I do like the current 'ask only a few questions by default' aproach.
> Debian-Installer supports smart things for smart users.

I'd prefer the installer to ask only the important questions and all the
important questions. The way to is heading to will cause the
installation manual having the most important part
"How to give PRIORITY=low to debconf..."[1]

(I really hope it got better, as I had not that time within the last
 weeks, but last time I tried there was no chance to get network running
 with a setting higher than medium. (And even more than enough needing
 low, so that this is the most important issue for the installation
 medium)).

Hochachtungsvoll,
	Bernhard R. Link

[1] Best solution would of course to ask for the priority to choose
with some text like:
        ciritcal: Guess as much as possible.
        high:     May almost work with your computer, but ask too many
                  questions.
        medium:   Work for most common things around and ask even more
                  questions.
        low:      Kill me with questions.
But I fear some vocal people will even force the final installer not
asking for the priority...

--
The man who trades freedom for security does not deserve
nor will he ever receive either. (Benjamin Franklin)