Re: PowerPC people please test the new build code

On Thu, Oct 16, 2003 at 03:43:43PM +0200, Goswin von Brederlow wrote:
> Sven Luther <sven.luther@wanadoo.fr> writes:
>
> > > Forget it, i was in the wrong directory (d-i, not d-i/build).
>
> Still strange. debuild shoulw run within fakeroot. Youm might want to
> report it as a bug.

Ok, i may do that.

> > > I do get lot of :
> > >
> > > missing list, pkg-lists/initrd-cdrom-boot/powerpc, for type
> > > initrd-cdrom-boot at ./pkg-list line 15.
> > > cat: media-lists/cdrom-boot/udebs-powerpc: No such file or directory
>
> They need to be created. I will try to piece them together from the
> old lists and common sense. I renamed the targets and haven't had
> time to move the old stuff around yet. Atm its not ment to be working
> but should be easily fixed:
>
> The yaboot configs need renaming and possibly adjusting:
> boot/powerpc/*-yaboot.conf

I will let this work to the yaboot/pmac folk.

> You need to (check and) specify what goes onto the ramdisk:
> pkg-lists/initrd-cdrom-*/common
> pkg-lists/initrd-cdrom-*/powerpc

Mmm, this is for stage 1 only, right ? And it needs all scsi/ide udebs
as well as filesystem udebs for filesystems we might want to read stuff
from (iso 9660, hfs, hfs+, affs, asfs come to mind).

> Then decide which debs and udebs go onto the cdrom media:
> media-lists/cdrom-boot/udebs-common
> media-lists/cdrom-boot/udebs-powerpc
> media-lists/cdrom-boot/debs-common
> media-lists/cdrom-boot/debs-powerpc

The rest of the udebs ?

> The common packages work for i386 so you might have to remove some
> stuff and put it into the -i386 flavours instead. The media udebs
> lists is just all udebs for i386, feel free to cleanup. The debs list
> is what base-installer needs on i386. There should be some
> modifications needed there too (like add yaboot).

Mmm,

> > > Though, and it fails with :
> > >
> > > rsync: getaddrinfo: dual 873: Name or service not known
>
> Thats my local mirror. Commited by accident.

Ok.

> > > rsync error: error in socket IO (code 10) at clientserver.c(83)
> > > rsync: getaddrinfo: dual 873: Name or service not known
> > > rsync error: error in socket IO (code 10) at clientserver.c(83)
> > > /usr/bin/debmirror: Get Packages and Sources files and other miscellany.
> > > Failed to download some Package, Sources, Contents or release files!
> > > releasing 1 pending lock... at /usr/lib/perl5/LockFile/Simple.pm line
> > > 182.
> > > make[2]: *** [stamp/mirror-update] Error 9
> > > make[2]: Leaving directory `/debian/d-i-mrvn/build'
> > > make[1]: *** [cdrom-boot] Error 2
> > > make[1]: Leaving directory `/debian/d-i-mrvn/build'
> > > make: *** [all] Error 2
> >
> > Forget it, i don't know what server is used for rsyncing, but i guess
> > this is related to auric being down right now.
> >
> > Will try again later, but Goswin, i have nearer mirrors where i could
> > ftp stuff from (ftp2.fr.debian.org is hosted at my isp for example).
>
> Look at build/config/main and `head build/README`. ftp2.fr.debian.org
> is also an rsync mirror so you just need to change the hostname. I
> guess its time to extract that info from /etc/apt/sources.list.

Yep, that would be best.

> Unless you run "make mirror" or delete stamp/mirror-update the mirror
> won't be rebuild and its <50 MB. Updating the mirror will fetch the
> new Packages file via rsync and any new debs. Its very low traffic.

Ok.

> PS: If you don't have time or will just leave it for the next few days till I asked for a next round of testing.

Well, i am doing other stuff, but i can regularly try a make and report
back. Also, since a kernel build takes me 3 hours, i may find some time
to look at it more in detail :))

As you have seen, i am almost ready to upload the new powerpc kernel
packages, and then i would like to build test images to see if i did
everything correctly with the kernel module udebs.

Also, i am thinking that it may be possible to extract what is needed
from the kernel build tree to incorporate the initrd in the kernel at a
later time, more exactly in the debian-installer build, and for that i
also would need support in the debian-installer build system, so we will
produce on the CD both a normal kernel as well as a kernel with builtin
initrd for each of the powerpc subarches, well at least chrp, chrp-rs6k
and prep. I don't know if pmac can handle it. There will also be the
.coff kernel naturally.

There will be 5 kernel-image udebs for powerpc :

  kernel-image-2.4.22-powerpc-chrp-rs6k-udeb_2.4.22-2_powerpc.udeb
  kernel-image-2.4.22-powerpc-chrp-udeb_2.4.22-2_powerpc.udeb
  kernel-image-2.4.22-powerpc-pmac-coff-udeb_2.4.22-2_powerpc.udeb
  kernel-image-2.4.22-powerpc-pmac-udeb_2.4.22-2_powerpc.udeb
  kernel-image-2.4.22-powerpc-prep-udeb_2.4.22-2_powerpc.udeb

Plus the package needed to build the initrd including kernel (possible
kernel-build-2.4.22-powerpc-udeb).

Friendly,

Sven Luther