Re: PowerPC people please test the new build code

On Tue, Oct 14, 2003 at 09:46:36PM +0200, Goswin von Brederlow wrote:
> Sven Luther <sven.luther@wanadoo.fr> writes:
>
> > On Tue, Oct 14, 2003 at 05:19:51PM +0200, Goswin von Brederlow wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > I checked in a branch with my proposed new naming scheme. The branch
> > > name is mrvn.
> > >
> > > Someone please check it out and type "cd build; make". You can adjust
> >
> > BTW, is there a make build-dep or something such ?
> >
> > I get :

> >   kbd-chooser: Depends: libdebian-installer4 (>= 0.16) but it is not installable
> >   main-menu: Depends: libdebian-installer4 (>= 0.16) but it is not installable
> >   netcfg-dhcp: Depends: libdebian-installer4 (>= 0.16) but it is not installable
> >   netcfg-static: Depends: libdebian-installer4 (>= 0.16) but it is not installable
> >
> > But then, maybe it is just that the udebs are currently broken in sid.
>
> Looks like it. Thats an error from apt, right? What version is in
> build/tmp/mirror/pool/libd/libdebian-installer/ ?
>
> 0.16 is from 28. Aug and was the libd-i4 release. 0.17 is 3. Oct. You
> can go into the top srcdir and rebuild all d-i udebs from cvs:
>
> make && cp dest/*/*udeb build/localudebs
>
> You might have to run "autoreconf -i" for a few of the udebs if they
> fail.

Ok, i added some extra udebs, and it built. That said, i get the
following error :

cp -f boot/powerpc/floppy-yaboot.conf ./tmp/floppy/cd_image_tree/install/powermac/yaboot.conf
cp: cannot stat `boot/powerpc/floppy-yaboot.conf': No such file or directory
make: *** [cd_content] Error 1

But i have yaboot installed, but since i don't use it, i have no
configuration file, nor any idea of where to find such a thing.

And which raise a question of the bootloaders for the different
subarches.

We currently have :

  oldworld : quik & miboot.

  newworld : yaboot, but plain OF is also possible.

  chrp : yaboot (i think), but plain OF is also possible.

  chrp-rs6k : no idea most people simply use OF it seems.

  prep : no bootx loader.

  chrp-pegasos : no bootloader yet, OF is used.

How will you handle this ?

There is also the matter of building the kernel with builtin initrd, but
i am working on it, maybe using a kernel-build-udeb package or
something, containing the minimal stuff needed to add the initrd to the
kernel.

Friendly,

Sven Luther