Re: PowerPC people please test the new build code

Sven Luther <sven.luther@wanadoo.fr> writes:

> On Thu, Oct 16, 2003 at 03:43:43PM +0200, Goswin von Brederlow wrote:
> > The yaboot configs need renaming and possibly adjusting:
> > boot/powerpc/*-yaboot.conf
>
> I will let this work to the yaboot/pmac folk.
>
> > You need to (check and) specify what goes onto the ramdisk:
> > pkg-lists/initrd-cdrom-*/common
> > pkg-lists/initrd-cdrom-*/powerpc
>
> Mmm, this is for stage 1 only, right ? And it needs all scsi/ide udebs
> as well as filesystem udebs for filesystems we might want to read stuff
> from (iso 9660, hfs, hfs+, affs, asfs come to mind).

cdrom-boot is suposed to be just a boot medium and nothing on the
cdrom itself. Thats just like a big floppy. If everything important
its into the initrd no harddisk/cdrom drivers are neccessary. This is
suposed to be a real minimum network install.

cdrom-udebs needs everything to find the cdrom and not much else.

cdrom-base uses cdrom-udebs initrd.

> > Then decide which debs and udebs go onto the cdrom media:
> > media-lists/cdrom-boot/udebs-common
> > media-lists/cdrom-boot/udebs-powerpc
> > media-lists/cdrom-boot/debs-common
> > media-lists/cdrom-boot/debs-powerpc
>
> The rest of the udebs ?
>
> > The common packages work for i386 so you might have to remove some
> > stuff and put it into the -i386 flavours instead. The media udebs
> > lists is just all udebs for i386, feel free to cleanup. The debs list
> > is what base-installer needs on i386. There should be some
> > modifications needed there too (like add yaboot).
>
> Mmm,

We don't need the non-functional gtk udebs or the cdrom
modules/retriver on the cd. Everything already in the inird can
basically be left out except for unreduced libraries.

> > Thats my local mirror. Commited by accident.
>
> Ok.
>
> > Look at build/config/main and `head build/README`. ftp2.fr.debian.org
> > is also an rsync mirror so you just need to change the hostname. I
> > guess its time to extract that info from /etc/apt/sources.list.
>
> Yep, that would be best.
>
> > Unless you run "make mirror" or delete stamp/mirror-update the mirror
> > won't be rebuild and its <50 MB. Updating the mirror will fetch the
> > new Packages file via rsync and any new debs. Its very low traffic.
>
> Ok.
>
> > PS: If you don't have time or will just leave it for the next few days till I asked for a next round of testing.
>
> Well, i am doing other stuff, but i can regularly try a make and report
> back. Also, since a kernel build takes me 3 hours, i may find some time
> to look at it more in detail :))
>
> As you have seen, i am almost ready to upload the new powerpc kernel
> packages, and then i would like to build test images to see if i did
> everything correctly with the kernel module udebs.
>
> Also, i am thinking that it may be possible to extract what is needed
> from the kernel build tree to incorporate the initrd in the kernel at a
> later time, more exactly in the debian-installer build, and for that i
> also would need support in the debian-installer build system, so we will
> produce on the CD both a normal kernel as well as a kernel with builtin
> initrd for each of the powerpc subarches, well at least chrp, chrp-rs6k
> and prep. I don't know if pmac can handle it. There will also be the
> .coff kernel naturally.
>
> There will be 5 kernel-image udebs for powerpc :
>
>   kernel-image-2.4.22-powerpc-chrp-rs6k-udeb_2.4.22-2_powerpc.udeb
>   kernel-image-2.4.22-powerpc-chrp-udeb_2.4.22-2_powerpc.udeb
>   kernel-image-2.4.22-powerpc-pmac-coff-udeb_2.4.22-2_powerpc.udeb
>   kernel-image-2.4.22-powerpc-pmac-udeb_2.4.22-2_powerpc.udeb
>   kernel-image-2.4.22-powerpc-prep-udeb_2.4.22-2_powerpc.udeb
>
> Plus the package needed to build the initrd including kernel (possible
> kernel-build-2.4.22-powerpc-udeb).
>
> Friendly,
>
> Sven Luther

I have a bit of a problem with the kernel udebs currently. They get
installed and then the kernel itself gets moved out of the initrd-tree
into $(TEMP) for later use.

The kernel should probably be moved into $(DEST) and get a proper
target to reextract them.

MfG
        Goswin