Re: new installer

On Sat, Sep 27, 2003 at 11:39:15PM +0000, simon raven wrote:

> i work at a place called ex-mac. we take old hardware, re-furbish it,
> and make usable machines out of them, with debian i might add, and give
> them to non-profits. we also sell them, to pay staff and expenses.

> don't let people like us down.

> generally:
> please note that i am making an issue out of this, for the simple reason
> that debian is one of the few that supports oldworld *properly* even if
> it is with broken tools. that's an achievement on its own. i don't want
> to see this get dropped just because of my lack of tact or some stupid
> personal conflicts. we must not forget that there are thousands of
> people out there that look forward to sarge going stable, having a new
> installer, etc. would it be fair to the end users, big and small, to
> hand them a half-assed attempt at making something 'just work'? or are
> you going to make something you're proud of? do the right thing.

The point I think people here have been trying to get across to you is
that dropping OldWorld support was *not* a design decision.  To date,
debian-installer is only even known to be bootable on 3-4 of 11
architectures; there are many more bugs that are going to need to be
fixed along the way to get it booting on the other 7, and I don't see
any reason it would be impossible to get it booting on OldWorld Macs as
well.  However, that's largely a function of whether anyone steps
forward on behalf of the powerpc port to make it work.

People here are generally flexible and willing to work with porters to
get d-i working on as many platforms as possible, but aren't likely to
give high priority to hardware they don't have or use.  That is *also*
part of the mix in Debian.

--
Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer