Re: new installer

Le Sat, Sep 27, 2003 at 19:58:43 -0500, Steve Langasek a écrit:
> On Sat, Sep 27, 2003 at 11:39:15PM +0000, simon raven wrote:
>
> The point I think people here have been trying to get across to you is
> that dropping OldWorld support was *not* a design decision.  To date,

ah ok. that's totally different then.

> debian-installer is only even known to be bootable on 3-4 of 11
> architectures; there are many more bugs that are going to need to be
> fixed along the way to get it booting on the other 7, and I don't see
> any reason it would be impossible to get it booting on OldWorld Macs as
> well.  However, that's largely a function of whether anyone steps
> forward on behalf of the powerpc port to make it work.

i see now. i didn't know that. my sincere and most blushing apologies. i
was unde the understanding it was a design decision. i'm relieved. no
one actually said "we're not dropping it, we need to work on it", so i
thought you were being weird and turning the philosophy upside down or
something.

> People here are generally flexible and willing to work with porters to
> get d-i working on as many platforms as possible, but aren't likely to
> give high priority to hardware they don't have or use.  That is *also*
> part of the mix in Debian.

understood.

thanks for the clairification. i'll see what i can do on my end (suqeeze
in some time to test d-i). though i'll probably go with di-2.6, since it
has no devfs in it.

please be clear that devfs is not the best way to do those discover
calls... from my info, you've been told this from kernel hackers even.
i'd listen to them, if i were you.

cheers

--
| http://www.nuit.ca/             | http://simonraven.nuit.ca/      |