Re: new installer

Le Sat, Sep 27, 2003 at 19:26:10 -0400, Dan Weber a écrit:

> On Sat, Sep 27, 2003 at 11:13:30PM +0000, simon raven wrote:
> > > I have some that can be used for testing, but don't understand all
> > > that might be needed to make it work. Two things right off the bat,
> > > though:
> > >
> > > 1) Oldworlds need proprietary code to boot CDs, and normally need to
> > > install from a 1.44 floppy, but the standard 2.4 image doesn't fit; and
> >
> > yaboot doesn't work -- quik is the free solution for booting.
>

> > quik is busted. it works, but it's FUBAR - we all know that and there
> > are some oldworlds that are going to be supported in yaboot2. if you
> > folks had bothered to contact the yaboot maintainer, you would have
> > known that.
> >

> Ok you said that yaboot2 was going to have some oldworld mac support.  So is it
> going to be the equivalent of quik or is it likely that it will not be
> sufficient.  If its not sufficient, what are any other benefits for reasons why
> we should replace the current version of yaboot with it.

yaboot(2) isn't quik, period. the only thing they have in common is that
they're bootloaders. yaboot 1.x and quik have something else in common:
they're kludgy. yaboot2 will be adding way more to the functionality of
yaboot - i'm not the expert here, ask one of the main devels, e.r. benson.

i can't get into great detail, as i'm not intimate with the project, but
i do know that certain oldworlds will be able to use it (like this 7500
i'm typing from for instance).

i work at a place called ex-mac. we take old hardware, re-furbish it,
and make usable machines out of them, with debian i might add, and give
them to non-profits. we also sell them, to pay staff and expenses.

don't let people like us down.

generally:
please note that i am making an issue out of this, for the simple reason
that debian is one of the few that supports oldworld *properly* even if
it is with broken tools. that's an achievement on its own. i don't want
to see this get dropped just because of my lack of tact or some stupid
personal conflicts. we must not forget that there are thousands of
people out there that look forward to sarge going stable, having a new
installer, etc. would it be fair to the end users, big and small, to
hand them a half-assed attempt at making something 'just work'? or are
you going to make something you're proud of? do the right thing.

i like debian, it has the right mix of things that make it so attractive
to me. i know there are problems, but they are only obstacles, not
impossibilities. you learn from them, and grow past them. you don't let
them take you over.

my 2 cents.... FWIW

--
| http://www.nuit.ca/             | http://simonraven.nuit.ca/      |